Early Decision For Floral Park Lax Star

Junior Tim Pipa accepts offer to attend Adelphi University to play lacrosse

Luke de Armas, Sports Writer

Floral Park Memorial student-athlete Timothy Pipa has officially extended his lacrosse career to the next level of competition. Pipa recently committed to Adelphi University, a private college located in Garden City, New York. Adelphi competes at the Division II level in the NCAA for all its sports teams, except the Division I women’s bowling team. The Adelphi Panthers men’s lacrosse team competes in the Northeast-10 Conference, battling other colleges such as Le Moyne and Merrimack every season.

Timothy Pipa is currently a junior at Floral Park Memorial in the midst of his third season on the varsity lacrosse team. One of his major goals for this season at Floral Park is to have a winning record. He even believes the Knights could compete for a Nassau County Championship, which would give Floral Park its third Nassau County title this school year. At the midway point of the season, the team is currently 6-1 overall, and is looking to earn a spot in the postseason. With the help of Pipa and head coach Mr. Obloj, the Knights could make a serious playoff push this season.

“I am thrilled with Tim’s decision to attend Adelphi,” said Obloj. “He has worked very hard during his three years to develop into an outstanding player. I am confident that he will continue to improve and have great success in college.”

When asked why he decided on Adelphi University, Pipa said, “Adelphi has an exceptional looking campus, excellent coaches and staff, and quality academics. The school is one of the best Division II schools in the country.” Pipa visited the campus twice before committing to the college on his third and final trip. Although he is taking his talents to Adelphi for his athletic ability, Pipa plans to study business or criminal justice in college.

“Tim has really matured into an excellent student, one who thinks critically, develops strong opinions and possesses a desire to learn,” said Mr. Simone, Tim’s Advanced Placement United States History teacher. “I have thoroughly enjoyed having him as a student in class. He brings a level of interest and curiosity to the classroom that elevates the discussion. I wish him the best of luck.”

Pipa still has the luxury of time to sharpen and elevate his game before he sports the coveted brown and gold of an Adelphi Panther.