Students Organize New Christian Faith Club

Sarah Morgan, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, March 25, the first meeting for Roots, a new extracurricular club at Floral Park Memorial High School, was attended by approximately 35 students.  The mission of this new club is to help students explore Christian faith through scripture, prayer and fellowship, and to serve the school and community through outreach events.

The issue of religious observances in public schools has received considerable attention throughout American history.  But two key Supreme Court decisions have had the greatest impact on the current climate for religion in public schools.  In the 1962 Engel vs. Vitale decision, a case that originated in New Hyde Park, the court ruled that school-sanctioned prayer in public school was unconstitutional.  However, in 1990, the court decided in Westside School District vs. Mergens that extracurricular religious club meetings were constitutional.  This 8-1 decision (John Paul Stevens was the lone dissenting vote) has guided schools today.

At Floral Park Memorial, the new Roots club is not exclusive as it is open to any student regardless of his or her religious background.  At the first meeting, the participants had a great time playing games, eating pizza and listening to an inspiring message from Pastor Nehru Grant.  Pastor Grant is from the Living Hope Christian Church in Bellerose.

The club plans to hold meetings every Wednesday from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.