Field of Honor

Extracurricular clubs join together for a display of patriotism

Lauryn Scott, Staff Writer

The R.O.O.T.S. Christian Club, supervised by Mrs. Lauria, and Leo’s, supervised by Mr. Brechtlein, joined forces to raise awareness of the meaning of the American Flag and to honor the veterans who have fought for the United States. Students sold 3’x5’ American Flags and placed them around the field at Floral park Memorial High School. The proceeds were donated to Building Homes For Heroes, a non-profit organization founded in 2006 dedicated to helping wounded veterans and their families with their housing needs. The clubs also sponsored a writing contest. Titled “What the American Flag Means to Me,” students from each grade level were asked to respond to the prompt. The winning selections were penned by Louis Moore (8th grade), Alyssa Ascani (9th grade) and Katrel Macena (12th grade).

The Field of Honor dedication ceremony was attended by many and featured several guest speakers, including the Dr. Sottile (principal), Mrs. Faggioni (Student Council Advisor) and students Jamie Bressmer, Michaela King, Sarah Morgan and Yazmi Miah. Lauryn Scott serenaded the audience with God Bless America, performing by herself for the first time, while others urged the attendees to sing along. The school’s marching band performed the National Anthem.

Many veterans also attended including 2006 Floral Park Memorial High School graduate Marine Corps Sergeant Dennis Burgos, who gave an unforgettable speech paying tribute to his fellow service members.

What we all can learn from this amazing event is to appreciate this great country we live in and to be thankful for the sacrifices of the men and women who protect our country. We can do our part and honor these men and women by embracing one another’s differences and showing random acts of kindness. Gestures such as a smile can go a long way and can make our country a happier and better place. May God continue to bless and protect this great country.