Running The Distance

Sara Donovan, Staff Writer

As the construction crew completes work on the new auditorium, the students and staff at Floral Park Memorial continue to be without the entrance to the small parking lot. But for the members of the cross country team, being forced to run a few extra blocks has proven to be a recipe for success.

Senior Paul Lubicich enjoyed an incredibly successful season while the girls’ team finished as conference and division champions. The girls were undefeated in the league while placing 4th in their county classification.

“The girls had an outstanding season,” said head coach Mr. Renner. Renner, who also serves as the school librarian, has been coaching both the girls’ and boys’ team for the past three years. Two of the most impressive meets for the girls this season were against Valley Stream North and Wantagh. Emilee Becker led the girls with several performance in the top three while senior Kellie Courtney continued her four-year run as one of the best performers. The other members of the two teams include: Danielle Ashbahian, Michelle Ashbahian, Ahmed Aziz, Anna Burnett, Fiona Comer, Una Comer, Sara Donovan, Clare Duthie, Edward Geraghty, Andrew Gervasi, Krista Gliszczynski, Victoria Lopez, Julia Mills, Annaliese Nardi, Margaret O’Neill, Harrison Power, Justus Santiago, Barlin Singh and Grace Yeostros. In addition to all of their league victories, the girls also ran great races at weekend invitationals at more challenging courses such as Sunken Meadow Park and Van Cortlandt Park.

The girls’ team advanced to the State Qualifiers on Saturday, November 4th at Bethpage State Park.