Floral Park Takes On Liz’s Day

Ayesha Khondker and Lorelei Krapf, Staff Writers

The 19th annual Liz’s Day – to support breast cancer research – was held on September 30 at the Floral Park Recreation Center. This day honors those women who have courageously fought, and tragically lost the battle with breast cancer in the past, as we continue to fight to find a cure. The entire Floral Park community came together and donated money towards research, marked in the parade and had fun with family and friends. Many Floral Park citizens made new memories while others were reminded of the past. In keeping with tradition, the mothers’ club raised money with its bake sale while raffle tickets were sold throughout the day. One younger volunteer at the event, and new student to Floral Park Memorial, expressed her feelings when asked what Liz’s day meant to her.

“Liz’s Day means a lot to everyone because it’s for a really good cause,” said 7th grader Tulah Chatterton. “It’s just an epic day where you can have fun with friends, and donate to breast cancer patients all at once.”

“It’s a great way for the community to come together,” said Carol Timlin, who has been volunteering for 19 years.

Christiana Di Auglielmo, Meagan Kilcarr and Daniella Zacharis are all girls who volunteered during the day, but also have relatives dealing with breast cancer. They sold handmade bracelets with all of the proceeds going toward breast cancer research. Ginny Coughlin, who lost a sister to breast cancer, said, “This is a great way for people to be aware of breast cancer and a great way for me, my family and friends to remember my sister.”

We had a great time helping out on Liz’s Day. There was so much positive energy all around. It was nice to see many of our own Floral Park Memorial students helping out. We need to encourage all the women in our lives to get screening done annually, because early detection can help fight against cancer. We urge everyone to keep supporting this noble cause and hopefully we will find a cure in the very near future.