Juniors Helping Juniors

FPM juniors volunteer to tutor elementary students at Belmont day care center

Matt Denaro and Angel

Grace Lopez, Staff Writer

The Belmont Child Care Association (The BCAA) is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to raise the financial resources necessary to maintain its quality child care center, Anna House, for the benefit of the backstretch workers’ families in Belmont Racetrack. The BCAA is committed to providing early childhood education to the children of these backstretch workers, and Anna House has become a second home to them.

Most children who attend Anna House are first-generation Americans whose parents do not speak English and whose own first language is Spanish. Literacy rates in backstretch families can be low, presenting challenges for the children in school.

Once Mrs. Mason, English teacher at Floral Park Memorial and the Director of Student Activities, received word that Anna House needed more students to tutor these backstretch children, she recruited the incoming Floral Park Juniors in the National Junior Honor Society to lend a helping hand.

Previously, the Junior Honor Society collected school supplies, toys and Halloween costumes for Anna House. Beginning in September, FPM’s juniors started to tutor at Anna House every Monday and Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:30 PM.

Right away, the younger students, ages ranging from five to 12, appreciated the assistance provided by these high school students, especially with their homework. They enjoy getting to know their tutors on a personal level as well. One fourth grader, Leandra, has been working with FPM junior Sarah Latham.

“Sarah helps me with homework,” said Leandra. “She also likes art.”

Andres, a third grader, has been very perceptive about his tutor Matthew Denaro.

“Matthew helps me, he likes helping other people,” said Andres.

Even the youngest student, Adolfo, a kindergartener, had positive feedback to offer. “Pawan, I like him,” said Adolfo about his tutor, FPM junior Pawan Mirchandani.

Marleny, a seven-year-old in second grade, said, “My tutor is Grace (Lopez). She’s cool.” When asked if he liked Anna House, Kevin, another kindergartener, said, “Yes. I like the kids, and my brother Angel comes with me.” Xochilt (pronounced Sochi), a fourth grader, loves her helper, Komal Patel. “She loves helping me and she likes division,” said Xochilt.
The elementary students aren’t the only ones who benefit from Anna House. Thomas Kenna said, “It’s a rewarding experience and I’ve learned from them as much as they’ve learned from me.”

The FPM juniors even have their favorites. Thomas Quinlan said, “Gustavo is the best kid here.” Chris Couluris added, “Jaselyn is, too.”

Matt Denaro described his Anna House experience as, “Amazing. I love working with kids and helping them with homework.” Komal Patel said, “It’s fun to work with young kids, it’s like being their age again.”

The Anna House staff agrees. Jennifer, the woman in charge of the program, has worked with the BCAA for seven and a half years. “I love working with them (kids). I love that they can work one on one, since there are enough tutors to help now,” she said. “Now the kids can get help with homework their parents can’t understand.” The students involved in this program have clearly made a great impact on the Anna House kids.

If anyone is interested in volunteering at Anna House, located at Gate 6 in Belmont Racetrack, he or she can complete the form attached below and stop by on Monday or Wednesday between 4:30 and 6:30 PM. All are welcome.

This program is a fine example of how young people today are contributing positively to their environments.