Fox Makes History

Senior Brian Fox joins an elite group of boys basketball players at Floral Park Memorial with his 1,000th point

Since Brian Fox was old enough to pick up a basketball, he has worked tirelessly to improve on his game. Hours in the gym taking jump shots, perfecting his moves to the basket and developing his dribbling skills helped to make him one of the best players in Nassau County. Prior to enrolling at Floral Park Memorial, Fox competed in numerous CYO and AAU games, lacing it up against players from across the region.

And now he can consider himself to be one of the most distinguished players in school history.

On Saturday, January 6, the four-year varsity starter for the Knights became only the fifth boy in school history to score 1,000 points in his career. The basket came in Floral Park’s 84-60 victory against Lawrence.

“I can remember the first time I saw Brian play in open gym as an 8th grader, and I knew he could have a special career at FPM,” said head coach Mr. Boyle. “He puts in countless hours to improve his skills and make himself a better basketball player.”

Fox has increased his scoring numbers during each of his four years. He averaged 8.4 ppg as a freshman, 16.5 as a sophomore, 17.6 as a junior and is currently at 19.3 for his final season at Floral Park. Fox was also named the Conference A-3 Player of the Year following his junior season.

The other four players who have scored over 1,000 points are Billy Butler (1,401), Ryan Freely (1,299), Kevin Cluess (1,241) and Shamoy McIntosh (1108).

Fox has enjoyed remarkable success since he joined the team as a freshman after playing junior varsity as an 8th grader. His teams have advanced to the playoffs all four years. During his freshman campaign, Fox helped take Floral Park on a magical ride as the 16th seed to the Nassau County Finals where they lost to Valley Stream South. His sophomore season ended with an outbracket game loss to the same Valley Stream South team while last year, the team faced top-seeded Elmont in the quarterfinals, falling to the eventual champs 76-55.

The Knights finished the season with an incredible 17-2 record and the Conference A-3 title. With a strong post-season run, Fox can add to his point total and help Floral Park achieve its goal of winning a county championship.