News from Floral Park Memorial High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Search

The Shield is now a free mobile app!

Students can now receive the Daily Announcements and Breaking News Updates as Push Notifications on their phone, in addition to being a great way to read The Shield: News from Floral Park Memorial.

Directions to download and install the app
AP US Government and Politics Hallway Mural Project
Carolyn Faggioni June 7, 2024

Students in my AP US Government and Politics classes create a hallway mural as an option for their final project. The quote was selected by the students (choose from a list...

Senior Interview Spotlight:  Samantha Ambrose 
Cara Kelly June 5, 2024

When I was thinking about what to write for what was likely going to be one of my last articles for The Shield, I decided I wanted to write about someone’s experience here....

Senior Reflections
Senior Reflections
June 5, 2024

These past six years have been a whirlwind of growth, challenges, and unforgettable memories that have shaped me into the person I am today.      One of the...

PALs Dance the Night Away
PALs Dance the Night Away
Maya Bergen May 8, 2024

The annual PALs dance was held in the Fpm back gym on April 18th. Students from the district dressed up and had a lot of fun together. There was pizza, sweets, a photo op...

Understanding Autism
Understanding Autism
Cara Kelly May 8, 2024

Autism spectrum disorder is a disease we don’t really know a lot about. There are many studies currently going on trying to learn about ASD and its causes or effects. ASD...

Pancreatic Cancer Awareness:  Remembering a colleague, teacher and friend

Remembering Mary Jane Morra. Floral Park Memorial steps forward to help raise awareness and take steps to prevent Pancreatic Cancer.

Understanding Pancreatic Cancer :
With an overall five-year survival rate of just 11%, pancreatic cancer is a dire adversary that has taken many lives. Pancreatic cancer is a growing cancer in the pancreas, located behind the lower part of the stomach. Typically, pancreatic cancer begins when cells in the Pancreas undergo mutations and begin to grow uncontrollably.
Like a silent killer, pancreatic cancer usually does not have any symptoms until later, more advanced and scary stages of the disease. Although pancreatic cancer takes time to develop symptoms, when they do come to light, some symptoms include: Loss of Appetite, Jaundice, Weight loss, and Abdominal, Sides, or Back Pains.
Pancreatic cancer as a whole is a terrible disease, and the shield, and floral park memorial as a whole would like to spread awareness of pancreatic cancer, and honor Mrs. Mary Jane Morra for the time she spent here at Floral Park Memorial.

A sorrowful story :
Mrs. Morra was a teacher at Floral Park Memorial who showed great commitment to her teaching, and perseverance through her struggles. As someone who battled against pancreatic cancer, Mrs. Morra was strong, resilient, and an inspiration to all.
Mrs. Morra was  the very embodiment of strength and perseverance. She maintained a will power to keep going as well as strength to continue teaching at Floral Park Memorial, despite the relentless battle of unimaginable dangers.
She was an admired physical education teacher,  a health teacher and above all, an inspiration to  her students. Her contributions to the students and the FPM school community continue to live on. Mrs. MJ Morra has not only affected the school, but the entire Floral Park Community.

Farewell, Friend:
February 21, 2022. The day Floral Park stood silent. A day full of woe, and anguish. This tragic day marks the end of the two years of Mrs. Morra’s battle against pancreatic cancer. The unfortunate loss left many in sadness.

Reaction to the crisis :
News spread like wildfire as people became more aware of MJ Morra’s situation. Her family, friends, and piers sent her support, and reached out to help in any way they could. Together we would make sure she understood that she was not alone.

After it all :
Following in their mother’s footsteps, Mrs. Morra’s son is currently a student in Cortland University studying Physical Education.  Her daughter is graduating Plainedge HS with the  class of 2024. She plans on attending Adelphi University next fall.  Both children will continue to play lacrosse – a sport that Mrs. Morra held dear.

Taking Action :
In the years following, Floral Park Memorial has held “MJ days” in honor of Mrs. Morra. It is a day where students and staff wear purple to help support pancreatic cancer awareness and prevention.
Throughout the past few years, Floral Park Memorial has also held events such as the MJ Walk-a-thon, the 2021 fundraiser at Belmont Park, the 2022 basketball charity game, and the 2023 MJ 5k in Bellerose Village NY. Most recently the school community has honored Mrs. Morra’s memory on Friday February 16th, 2024.   Teachers, staff and students were encouraged to wear purple and donate to the scholarships given out in Mrs. Morra’s honor.

Her battle against cancer, and her resilience  will never be forgotten as it echoes throughout FPM’s corridors. This special memorialized MJ day is held annually, on February sixteenth. Students and teachers will wear purple, to symbolize Pancreatic cancer awareness. We hope you participated this year!

Take action, and support prevention. Any and all funds raised count towards another life saved.