FPM Celebrates Pride With New Display Case

June is LGBT Pride Month

Mahesh Tiwari, Staff Writer

Students of the LGBTQ+ Club at Floral Park Memorial showed their pride by giving the display case at the front of the school a makeover.

The new display case now features a number of notable LGBT celebrities and activists, including Janet Mock, Laverne Cox, Michael Sam, Tim Cook, George Takei, Sam Smith, and others. The LGBTQ+ Club emphasizes the importance of representing LGBT notables of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and races to accurately represent the diverse student body of FPM.

In addition to queer celebrities, the display case provides a number of definitions of various gender identities and sexual orientations. Because the queer community faces a disheartening lack of representation, many gender identities and sexual orientations are misunderstood. Misunderstanding and ignorance often give rise to fear, prejudice, and hatred. By defining pansexuality, asexuality, genderqueer, genderfluid, agender and other traditionally unrepresented ID’s, students in the LGBTQ+ Club hope to dispel any misunderstanding or fear that their peers may encounter.

The right side of the display case displays a variety of organizations that work for the betterment of the LGBTQ+ community. Many of these organizations are resources queer students can contact for recreation, support, justice, and community-centered activities. GLSEN (Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network), the Trevor Project, PFLAG (Parents and Family of Lesbian and Gays), and LIGALY (Long Island Gay and Lesbian Youth) are among some of the organizations shown on the display case.

A brief discussion on Cisgender Privilege and Heterosexual Privilege is included in the board, so that all students may learn specifically what privileges and rights are afforded to cisgender and heterosexual individuals but systematically denied to gender non-conforming and queer individuals. A healthy understanding of oppressive power structures as well as one’s own privilege is necessary to embracing activism and helping the marginalized fight for their rights. Hopefully, this discussion on privilege will enlighten and educate many students to helping their queer and gender-non conforming peers.

Finally, a visual map of the United States (hand-drawn by LGBTQ+ members) illustrates which states in the nation have legalized same-sex marriage. The map will give students information on the national status of same-sex marriage as of May 2015. The landmark Supreme Court decision expected this June may change what the map should look like, but it is nonetheless an effective visual showing the work that remains for LGBTQ+ activists.