Clubs Attract Students Interested in Math and Science

Thomas Quinlan, Senior Staff Writer

Do you enjoy science?

Whether your answer was yes or no, Science Olympiad just might be for you.

Science Olympiad consists of science-related projects and the exhibition of a student’s science knowledge on test events to show off one’s ability to problem solve. The events range from fossil identification to a forensic investigation test. All this culminates in a county-wide Science Olympiad competition at Kellenberg Memorial High School on February 6 for students in grades 9-12. The competition is a great experience where students have the opportunity to meet their peers across Nassau County. If a school finished in the top five, it qualifies for the national competition.

In addition to the competition, joining the club is a great way to meet people with similar interests. President Pasan Parthinarage and Secretary Chris Couluris have been working hard to make the club a success. Club adviser Mr. Rockensies, a teacher in the Science Department, is always looking for new members.

If numbers and logic are more your speed, then joining the Mathletes might be more appealing. The club has two separate divisions – Junior Mathletes for grades 7-9 and Senior Mathletes for grades 10-12. Mathletes is held every Tuesday during 10th period. Members try and solve complex mathematical questions. The Junior Mathletes compete at Floral Park Memorial while the Senior Mathletes travel to schools within the district for their contests. The top ten members of the senior team are then selected to participate in a one-day mathematics competition held at SUNY Old Westbury. Students from all across Long island attend this event.

If you are interested in participating in Mathletes, you can contact Ms. Clark or Mr. Merle in the Math Department for Junior Mathletes and Senior Mathletes respectively.