Exhilarating Finish To Homecoming Weekend

Diana Santoro, Senior Staff Writer

When the football schedule was released last spring, the most ideal date for homecoming was the second week of school. It was a great opportunity for the team to enjoy a home victory, but it put considerable pressure on class boards and advisors to complete all preparations for Spirit Day. This earlier than expected date, however, turned out to be a great success as the Knights won an exciting game while the students had a great time decorating the halls and performing in the parade.

This year’s theme was decades. Each grade did such an amazing job capturing the essence of each time period and creating hallways that took viewers back in time. Most of the students and faculty only see the finished product, unaware of how much time and energy is devoted behind the scenes to execute these incredible murals. Each of the dedicated class advisors and class boards deserve a heartfelt thank you and appreciation for all of their work. Without them, Spirit Day would never be possible.

The competition for best hallway has become intensified over the years, a legacy of former Student Activities Director Mrs. Mason, who encouraged students to challenge themselves greatly. Ms. D’Ammassa has done a wonderful job provided tremendous guidance and leadership as the current teacher in this role. This year, the senior class won first prize, winning most spirited class along with best hallway decorations, as voted on by the FPM faculty and staff.

The pep rally was another success, an opportunity for students to cheer on the athletic teams, and watch performances from the cheerleaders and Florettes. It is also a great event for 7th graders, their first time witnessing the exciting environment of secondary education. Concerns about the weather forced administrators to scrap the idea for shortened periods, instead simply holding the event during the last two classes of the day. Fortunately, it turned out to be a beautiful day. The band was tremendous, loud, sharp and entertaining with its Spectrum routine highlighting the evolution of color. The cheerleaders’ performance was creative and included the theme as well with songs from each decade, progressing until the present. Finally, the Florettes closed the show with another outstanding performance and really hyped up the crowd.

The parade was an opportunity to showcase school pride with the community. This year’s grand marshal was Mr. Brian Sharkey, formerly a science chairperson and assistant principal at Floral Park Memorial. The king and queen of the senior class were Ryan Sheer and Trinity Crompton. Various clubs and athletic teams all marched in red and white, and returned to school where a carnival and pizza were waiting for them.

The highlight of the weekend may have been the thrilling victory for the football team. Clinging to a 10-6 lead, Division had the ball on the one-yard line with seconds remaining. But senior John Grassi stripped the ball from the Division running back, and Ty Allen returned it 99 yards for an improbable victory, the first in head coach Mr. Pickett’s career.

Overall, it could not have been a better weekend for the Floral Park Memorial community. Thanks to everyone.