A Bright Future

Megan Malherb, Staff Writer

With seven eighth graders and six freshmen on this year’s junior varsity girls’ volleyball team, head coach Mr. Funk and varsity coach Ms. Lorusso have much to be excited about for the years to come.

“With such a young team, and a very competitive conference, we are working hard every day and focusing on improving and competing,” said Mr. Funk. “I am really enjoying watching this team grow and mature.”

On September 26, the Floral Park team had a match against district-rival Carey High School. It was an edge-of-your-seat, five-game match. Carey started off strong, claiming the first two games. But the young Lady Knights showed how resilient they are, winning the next two games to set up the deciding fifth game. The tension and nervous energy was palpable on both sides of the stands. As the final game started, the girls for Floral Park knew how difficult it was going to be to win. Both teams desperately wanted to take home the victory, but in the end, the Lady Knights squeaked out a 25-23 win.

Led by captains Erin Maloney, Katie Cotsalas, Orla Reilly and Francis Reilly, Floral Park is hoping that this win provides the team with momentum as it continues its grueling schedule in the top ability conference. Other team members include: freshmen Alexis Reilly, Caroline Lubicich, Emily McKie and Cassidy Stone, and eighth graders Olivia Avigliano, Erin Harkins, Tara Krische, Cara Lacey, Kate Lo, Megan Malherb, and Natalie Prieto.

Come out and support the girls as they continue the season.