Familiar Face Returns To Lead FPM

Gwynne Smith, Staff Writer

The unexpected resignation of Mr. Martin as Floral Park Memorial’s principal over the summer could have been a cause for concern. But fortunately, there was an incredibly strong leader, with first-hand knowledge of the building, who was willing and eager to fill the void and become the school’s next visionary, educational leader.
Meet Ms. Hecht, the new principal of Floral Park Memorial High School. Ms. Hecht is returning to the school after working as the assistant principal of New Hyde Park Memorial for the past 12 years. Between 1998 and 2006, Ms. Hecht was the chairperson of English at Floral Park Memorial. She also served as the district coordinator during her final two years before leaving for New Hyde Park.
There are still several teachers and administrators who were around when Ms. Hecht worked at Floral Park Memorial, so the familiarity should make the transition a smooth one.
“I am looking forward to getting to know the students in the building,” said Ms. Hecht. “I am very excited about collaborating on projects together. Many students have already approached me about trying to implement different ideas. It feels great to be part of the Floral Park school community once again.”
Ms. Hecht was quite impressed with the completion of the new auditorium. She views the increase in student population, not only at Floral Park Memorial but across the Sewanhaka Central High School District, as a positive sign. Even though it might mean slightly more crowded hallways, it sends a message that people in the communities appreciate the academic excellence of the schools.
Having already attended various athletic events and other extracurricular activities, Ms. Hecht has observed the commitment, dedication and school spirit that exists at Floral Park. She intends to interact with students in as many settings as possible, both inside and out of the classroom. Her presence in the hallways throughout the day is just another opportunity for her to develop relationships with students in order to motivate and inspire them.
There is no question that the work of a school principal is an enormous time commitment. It will often feel like a 24-hour job. But if and when the time arrives when Ms. Hecht has a free moment on a rainy (or snowy) day, it should come as no surprise what the former English teacher would choose to do.
“If I can find a quiet, little spot in my house to curl up in with a blanket and a book, that would be therapeutic,” said Ms. Hecht.
Ms. Hecht plans on listening to as many people as she can, especially during her first year as principal, in order to allow Floral Park Memorial to continue to improve as a school.
“I am extremely excited to be back,” said Ms. Hecht. “I am thrilled and really appreciate the warm welcome I have received. Everyone has certainly made me feel like I have come back home.”
The more the Floral Park community gets to know Ms. Hecht, the more it will realize what a great fit this is. Ms. Hecht is a tremendous leader who will inspire the staff to motivate and challenge students to meet lofty expectations. She is bright, talented, kind and enthusiastic for the job.
“I have told my close friends on numerous occasions that one of the most challenging jobs in the nation today is being a school principal,” said Mr. Simone, a social studies teacher at Floral Park Memorial in his 25th year. “There are so many different roles a principal has to play, and he or she never knows at any given moment what role will be needed. Ms. Hecht has all the necessary traits to be an outstanding principal. She is hard-working, respectful, passionate, intelligent and willing to take educational risks. She really is a class act and I’m so exciting for her to be our new principal.”
Congratulations to Ms. Hecht and best of luck!