Broadway Coming To FPM Once Again

Jake Torres, Staff Writer

Floral Park Memorial’s finest stage performers have no time to rest.

As soon as the incredible production of Up The Down Staircase concluded, several cast members were already preparing for the next exciting theatrical opportunity.

Many of you have probably heard of the popular, animated movie, Shrek, that gained much success in 2001 on the big screen. If you like comedy, relatable characters, and an interesting storyline, this might be the musical for you. Yes, you read that last line correctly. Shrek is a Broadway musical that will be performed by students at Floral Park Memorial this year.

“I think it is going to be a great show,” said junior Gwynne Smith. “Everyone is already having so much fun, and the cast has so much talent.”

For those who may not be familiar with the plot, here is a summary. Shrek is an ogre who lives in the swamp. When his peace and comfort are destroyed, he must attempt to get it back by going on a quest. Shrek is close to completing his goal, but he must choose between getting his peace back or staying with his friends. Shrek is a very entertaining film that will certainly be a great experience to witness on the stage for Floral Park students.

The musical production will be directed by Mr. Smykowski. The first round of auditions were held on December 20, and the callbacks for the lead roles took place one day later. With a wealth of talented students, Mr. Smykowski had some very difficult decisions to make. But he is confident that all of the students who are part of the production will make this a memorable show.

“I wanted to do something that would be family friendly,” said Mr. Smykowski.

He hopes that Shrek’s popularity will draw more people to attend the show. The new auditorium is another selling point for the Floral Park community.

“I love the new auditorium because of its great lighting, and sound equipment,” said Mr. Smykowski. “They definitely gave us all the toys we wanted.”

Mr. Smykowski is very excited to collaborate with other teachers. Some of the teachers involved are Mr. Dura, Mr. Povolny, and Mr. Wilson, his former high school musical director. Everybody is working hard to put on a top-notch production.

The show will be performed on March 28, 29, and 30. We all wish Mr. Smykowski the best of luck directing Shrek the Musical, and hopefully many more musicals in the future.