A Guide To Remote Learning

Jake Torres, Staff Writer

When the Coronavirus spread like wildfire, schools were required to close down for the safety of the faculty and students. Protocols began late last year, and the students attended remote learning. Every student of Floral Park Memorial is required to attend remote learning fully or partially. To students who have never experienced this before, such as seventh graders, this is a guide to maintain healthy and productive habits.

Staying productive during these times can be difficult. It might be hard for you to manage your time in a helpful manner. When you attend remote learning you should be sitting at a desk. This can help you stay organized on worksheets, textbooks, or anything else you may have on your desk. You should have your own designated space where you can do your meetings. It is also important to maintain good posture. You attend classes for about six and a half hours a day. Make sure you don’t lay on your bed or couch. Negative effects of bad posture can lead to back and neck pain, poor digestion and circulation. Organization skills will lead to better habits. Better habits will help you have a more productive education and lifestyle.  Another strategy for staying productive is to make sure you submit all of your work on time every week. You can also check up on your grades every week to see if there is improvement. Good grades can lead to a happier mood, especially when you see yourself doing better and better. 

Make sure you stay distraction free. Using your phone during class could lead to you missing important information, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Remember, if you can’t use your phone at school, you shouldn’t be using it during remote learning. Whether it’s in your room, in the living room, or outside. Staying separated from people is important for keeping up a good remote learning environment.

I am sure that every student who is reading this has experienced stress due to school. It’s a natural thing, and sometimes you need to take time to clear your mind. As somebody who experienced this many times, I can tell you that it gets easier. During the weekends, take time to relax, go for a walk, or even meditate. All of these can help you focus on your well-being, and help put the mind to ease. 

If the main problem is not understanding the concepts you are learning, I suggest that  you attend extra help. When I don’t understand something, I simply ask my teachers to help me further. It helps me comprehend the material better than the first time around.

If you’re looking for something new, consider joining a student club. Clubs are offered to the students remotely, giving everybody a chance to join. You could even join the school newspaper! Look at what the school has to offer, and maybe give it a try. You could find your next hobby.

Remote Learning is something new that we are all trying to adjust to. It’s ok to feel stressed or unmotivated during this pandemic. However, these tips can help you get through these difficult times, and make the best out of a bad situation.