Why the Arts Should Play A Greater Role in the School Curriculum

Olivia Torres, Junior High Staff Writer

Integrating arts into everyday student learning is a strategy that merges the modern learning experience with art, music, drama, and more. It’s an ideal approach for kids who struggle with understanding in an average classroom where they feel restricted to learn a certain way. Studies show that incorporating arts into classes can provide students with necessary academic skills they may not otherwise achieve in their current classes. This includes further problem solving abilities, critical thinking, and visual learning.

One reason schools should consider teaching through the arts is because it can help students understand the information they’re being given. Most schools around the world teach students in the reading/writing learning style, yet this is not ideal for many kids. In fact, the most popular learning type is visual, taking up 65% of the population. This means that most of the students learn better from drawing, diagrams, and pictures while schools teach the traditional learning type, using textbooks and notes. This is also excluding the students with the kinesthetic and auditory learning types, who prefer touch and sound to learn.

Also, teaching through arts helps build critical thinking skills and creative problem solving abilities. When a student is learning through diagrams and pictures, they are gaining the ability to use what they see to help solve problems. Not only are they processing information through words, but also through the world around them. This can provide them with a further understanding of what they are being taught. 

Some schools have tried to integrate arts into their curriculum, yet they don’t know how to approach it. One way is by letting students explain their thoughts through drawings, pictures, and other forms of art. Another way is by allowing students to learn through music. This will provide kids with listening skills and will help them attain the information better. Finally, encourage students to express what they look for in the classroom. They may benefit from acting, music, or drawings in their class, so welcome their input.

Art integration should be included into everyday classes for many reasons. Doing this will provide the students with knowledge that they find difficult to attain in normal classes. This can also help kids with disabilities learn in their classrooms, providing them with social skills, cognitive skills, and academic achievement. Incorporating arts into schools will benefit many people, thus it should be normalized in every school.