FPM’s Talent Shines at Junior High Winter Concert

Junior high music concert offers holiday cheer

Erica Coleman, Staff Writer

The future for Floral Park Memorial’s music department is quite bright.

At this year’s junior high winter concert, the music teachers were able to show off the extraordinary talent of seventh, eighth and ninth-grade students. The band, chorus and orchestra performances were well received by the audience.

The students’ performances were festive with holiday pieces such as Carol of the Bells, White Christmas, Silent Night and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. Two songs that were not with the holiday spirit in mind also captured the crowd. El Toro, performed by the eighth and ninth grade orchestra, and Hallelujah, by the eighth and ninth grade chorus, were excellent numbers. Both songs appeared to require tremendous practice to perfect as the students displayed great musical ability. The solo performance of Jason Caballes, the concertmaster, highlighted his great talent. Hallelujah showed off the brilliant voices of Matt Kenna and Jacqueline Nunez.

Mr. Duke, one of the band directors, said he was proud of everyone in the performance – students and faculty – for their hard work and dedication. So much time and effort is devoted long before the students go on stage.

There were many other solo performances and outstanding pieces that were executed beautifully. Apollo Fanfare, performed by the seventh grade band, with its fantastic melody and easy flow, was exceptional. Other amusing aspects of the concert included the chorus’ quirky dance at the beginning and the wonderful flutists in the band.

Overall, the junior high winter concert was filled with cheer and a great source of holiday fun. The Floral Park school community should be looking forward to what the music department will be preparing for the spring.