Should the School Week Be Shortened?

Margaret Boyle, Junior High Staff Writer

After reading the title, you would probably say yes, and I agree. But, why do you say yes?

First of all, it will prevent burnout. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, burnout is the “exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration.” With a three day weekend, students and teachers alike will be able to take a break.

Another reason to shorten the week is to spend more time with loved ones. With a four day week, you will be able to spend more time with family and friends, whether that is watching a movie or playing a board game. It is proven that spending time with your family face-to-face can reduce many mental illnesses. Also, being able to spend more time with family could help kids do better in school.

Lastly, you would be able to enjoy your hobbies more often. Again, hobbies have a good metal effect. In fact, if you like to run and play outside, they can even have a good physical effect. To enjoy your favorite hobby, it also can make you feel happier and brings another happy thing into your life.

Even so, all these good things come with a cost. Because one day will be taken off each week, there will be a shortened summer vacation. In fact, there might not be any summer vacation at all. Instead, you might have to go to school all year round.
So, would you sacrifice your summer vacation for shortened weeks or would you continue with the same schedule?