Magical Run For Boys Basketball Team

16-seeded Floral Park falls just short in county finals

Jimmy Guerriero, Staff Writer

The shoe almost fit perfectly.
Floral Park Memorial’s boys’ varsity basketball team’s month-long cinderella story captivated Nassau County sports enthusiasts.  As a 16 seed, the Knights had to first defeat Locust Valley in an outbracket game before getting a chance to play top-seeded South Side.  Floral Park not only defeated the Falcons, the team went on to win three more games before falling in the Nassau County Class A Championship game to Valley Stream South, 49-43, on March 7 at Hofstra University.
Although the Knights’ season ended with a loss, it was a remarkably successful year.  Floral Park played most of the season, and the entire playoffs, without sophomore T.J. Cluess, one of the leading returning scorers from last year’s team that lost in the semifinals to Hewlett.
After impressive non-league wins over Massapequa, Manhasset and Oyster Bay, along with a championship in the Sewanhaka District Tournament, Floral Park continued its winning momentum with victories in its first four conference games.  However, a mid-season slump (losses in five of six games) left the Knights with a conference record of 5-5 and a fourth-place finish.  With a .500 record, Floral Park qualified for the playoffs and played a home game vs. 17-seeded Locust Valley.
Floral Park dismantled Locust Valley, 73-50, setting up a return trip to South Side.  Without a day to rest, Floral Park was returning to Rockville Center to play a South Side team that finished its conference schedule undefeated for a second consecutive year.  Floral Park defeated South Side in the quarterfinals last year, but this year, the Knights were attempting to become the first 16 seed in Nassau County basketball history to defeat a 1 seed.  Behind a herculean effort and performance by senior Kevin Cluess, Floral Park sent the South Side team home again with an exhilarating 79-77 victory.  Cluess finished with a career-high 41 points, yet it was his monster block with seven seconds remaining that sealed the two-point win.
Next up for the Knights was 9th seeded Manhasset, a team they beat last year in the first round as well as this year in the Chaminade Christmas Tournament.  The game was tight for the first three quarters before Shadner Edouasie his four three-pointers in the final quarter to give Floral Park a 79-68 win.
In the semifinals, Floral Park faced another rematch, this time with district-rival Carey.  With four players from the Long Island Championship football team, Carey’s starting five was filled with great athletes.  The game was a low-scoring contest and tight throughout, but the Knights continued their magical ride with a 47-42 win.
Floral Park’s opponent in the county finals, Valley Stream South, was a team the Knights were familiar with.  The defending champs played in the same conference with Floral Park last year.  The matchup of a 7 and 16 seed in the county finals may have appeared improbable to the casual observer, but these two teams were playing outstanding basketball at this time.  Although Floral Park gave a tremendous effort, it was unable to complete the “Cinderella Story,” losing by six points.
First-year coach Mr. Boyle did a remarkable job this season.  The senior class – Kevin Cluess, Jimmy  Guerriero, Matt Kelly, Nick Jounakos, Jalon Robertson and Tom Spano – will always remember being the first 16 seed to reach the county finals.  It was a great ride.