Red Hot Knights Get Revenge

Floral Park’s boys’ basketball team finally topples Glen Cove, 60-54

Red Hot Knights Get Revenge

Michael Viscovich, Sports Editor

Coming off a big win against Lawrence High School, the Floral Park boys’ varsity basketball team continued its hot streak with a hard fought 60-54 victory over Glen Cove on Friday night.

The Knights finally got their revenge after losing to Glen Cove in December. This was actually the first time Floral Park had defeated Glen Cove since the 2012 season. The team was led by Frankie Phelan (17 points), T.J. Cluess (13 points), and Brian Fox (15 points).

The crowd was electric after Jose Barcia started the game off with a difficult three pointer. However, Glen Cove soon took control and led 14-8 after the first quarter.

Floral Park came on strong in the second quarter led by Cluess and Fox. With an incredible offense Floral Park was able to bring the score within one with a big three pointer by Jack Dixon. With an even better defense Floral Park ended the half trailing only 25-24.

Floral Park started the second half with a three pointer by T.J. Cluess. This three led to Floral Park’s first lead of the game and further energized the team and home crowd. They were more focused and more physical. Glen Cove appeared rattled by the aggressiveness of the Knights. The teams traded baskets and fouls throughout the third quarter. Floral Park tied the score midway through the third quarter, but Glen Cove ended the quarter with a slim 42-40 lead.

The physical play continued into the fourth quarter as the home crowd stood on its feet and cheered loudly for the team. As the game heated up the referees had a difficult time keeping control of the game. Floral Park was better able to keep its composure on defense as Glen Cove was called for numerous offensive fouls. Floral Park was very accurate from the foul line and was able to build a strong lead. With some technical fouls called on Glen Cove at the end, the Knights came away with the hard-fought victory.

“This is our third win in a row,” said Cluess. “We’re getting better as a team and we’re headed in the right direction.”

Playing in the most competitive conference in Nassau County, Floral Park needs two more wins to qualify for the playoffs.