No Let Down For Floral Park’s Boys’ Hoops Team

Knights end losing streak with 61-42 victory over Bethpage

Michael Viscovich, Sports Editor

Losing two heartbreaking, overtime games last week to Valley Stream South and North Shore was not the way the Floral Park boys’ basketball team wanted to head into January testing week.

But the Knights clearly put the week of practice to good use.

After a somewhat close first half, Floral Park was able to dominate Bethpage, coasting to a 61-42 victory. Junior T.J. Cluess (24 points) and sophomores Brian Fox (14) and Frankie Phelan (14) combined for 52 of the team’s points. This was the second time the Knights defeated Bethpage this year.

The first quarter was evenly matched. It appeared that it was going to be a very close game. The teams traded baskets until Brian Fox hit a big three pointer at the end of the quarter to put Floral Park ahead 16-13.

It was more of the same in the second quarter as both teams demonstrated their strengths on the defensive side of the ball. The half ended with Floral Park clinging to a two-point lead, 28-26.
But in the third quarter, Floral Park stepped up its offensive production, primarily from the outside. Phelan showed off his accuracy with three consecutive three-point field goals as Floral Park extended its lead to 48-36. Cluess came on strong in the fourth quarter with 10 points and Shadner Edouasie energized the crowd with an explosive block that ended any hope of a comeback for Bethpage. Floral Park’s defense did an amazing job and the Knights showed they were the superior team by holding Bethpage to only six points in the quarter.

With three games remaining, the Knights need one more win to qualify for the playoffs in the tremendously competitive Conference AIII. Floral Park looks for revenge when it travels to Valley Stream North on Tuesday, February 2, to play the first-place Spartans.