Hooping It Up

Luke de Armas, Editor-in-Chief

The Floral Park boys’ varsity basketball team returned this season with extraordinary potential and high hopes of winning a county championship. The sophomore and freshmen players who were crucial to the county playoff run just two years ago returned as upperclassmen leaders of this team. Midway into the season, four-year varsity player TJ Cluess and three-year varsity player Brian Fox have been prolific scorers, while three-year varsity player Frankie Phelan has orchestrated the offense effectively at the point guard position. Second-year varsity players Jack Dixon and Michael Incantalupo have also been key contributors to the success of the team. With these pieces coming together, this team could be scary come playoff time.

The Knights began their non-conference schedule by defeating Babylon in dominating fashion by a score of 79-40. Fox had an electrifying 29 points in this matchup, which was followed by a stunning 32-point performance in a 84-74 win against Roslyn. The boys were red hot coming into league play, beating Massapequa 66-63 in a tightly contested matchup to start the season 5-0.

Floral Park continued its win streak, crushing Plainedge 94-45 in the first league game, and proceeding to win a nail-biter against a dangerous Westbury basketball team in the Chaminade Christmas Tournament. However, a tough loss to Chaminade in the tournament championship led to a cold spell for the team. The boys lost three of their next four games and faced a major challenge for the first time this season.
In the midst of adversity, the team overcame this setback by winning their next two games against Plainedge and Bethpage. Floral Park is back on track and hoping to gain momentum towards a playoff run. With just five games left in the regular season, there is still a lot to look forward to for this basketball team.