School of Rock

Owen Conway, Staff Writer

No auditorium? No problem! Cafeteria B was the perfect venue for this year’s Battle of the Bands, and it was quite the show. Five performers took the floor for the Battle of the Bands, treating all in attendance to a wide variety of music that included original songs, covers, instrumentals, and even a DJ!

The first performer of the night was senior Liz Talero, “Pica Dura”, who showcased two original love songs backed by great vocals and chill, charming ukulele tunes. Next up was “Merle Jam”, the duo of senior Tara Magguilli on bass and beloved FPM math teacher Mr. Merle on guitar. The duo performed two Rush covers, playing “Limelight” and “The Spirit of Radio,” winning the favor of the crowd with great musicianship, Tara’s vocals, and Mr. Merle’s popularity among students. After “Merle Jam” finished playing, Tara performed solo on guitar, playing “Plush” by Stone Temple Pilots and “Why Georgia” by John Mayer.

“It was really fun playing in front of everyone,” said Tara Magguilli after her performance. “There’s absolutely nothing like playing for people who have your back and will support you even if you make a mistake from time to time.”

Direct Vibe performed next, really putting the “Band” in Battle of the Bands. The four man group featuring Evin Guidone on bass, Dylan Slavin on guitar, Matt Smalls on drums, and Erik Cappuccio on keyboard jammed out like an old-school garage band, playing an instrumental version of “Californication” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and an original instrumental jam written by bassist Evin Guidone. And last but not least was DJ Stan K, who turned the cafeteria floor into a dance floor with lights and music that got the whole crowd up and moving.

When the time came to decide the winner of 2017’s Battle of the Bands, each performer’s name (or group name) was called, and whoever received the loudest applause was the winner. Backed by its new loyal fan base, Merle Jam was awarded first place and named the winner of Battle of the Bands 2017!

“I think this year’s Battle of the Bands went well,” said Mrs. Faggioni. “Garage band music isn’t as popular as it used to be, so this wasn’t the biggest Battle of the Bands ever. But despite that and having only five performers, I think it went very well.”

Regardless of the facilities, Floral Park Memorial’s music scene is alive and well, with an abundance of talent. Thanks and congratulations to this year’s performers and audience for making Battle of the Bands 2017 a success.