Just Not Enough

FPM’s boys’ varsity soccer team ends hard fought game against Division with a tie

Natalie Asitimbay, Sports Writer

Playing in the deep Nassau Conference A-2 division has proven to be quite a challenge for the boys’ varsity soccer team at Floral Park. Every game is a battle as teams jockey to not only make the playoffs but earn as high a seed as possible. On Tuesday, September 26, the boys came as close as possible to earning a valuable three points, but were forced to settle for a 3-3 tie against Division High School.

The Knights definitely gave a valiant effort to win, continuing to show improvement after some early season struggles. Impressive wins over Lynbrook and North Shore had Floral Park feeling good about its season. The success was largely a result of better communication and hustle from all players on the field. And this continued in the game against Division. Inspired play by juniors Michael Filoso and Timothy Cleere and senior captain Richard Ventura helped the Knights take a 2-1 lead into halftime. Ventura was consistently on the ball, showing great focus as a player who wanted his final year at Floral Park to be another successful one. The team had to deal with some adversity when Filoso was knocked out of the game due to a hard hit from a Division player.

Head coach Mr. Pokojny has been trying to get the team to finish games. He noted that the team is playing hard and staying focused, but still has difficulty closing out opponents. A goal by senior Cormac Gill in the second half was not enough as Division was able to tie the score at three. Great goaltending by Cesar Vasconez (seven saves) helped the Knights earn at least one point in the standings and stay in position for a playoff spot.

Overall, Floral Park is having a very good season and improving during each game. Some tough injuries and illness has made consistency more difficult but knowing how talented the team is, do not be surprised to see the Knights ready for the playoffs.