The Beginning of that Scary, Exciting, and Fun Adventure

The class of 2020 enjoys a smooth transition to Floral Park Memorial

Thomas Kenna, Editor-in-Chief

September 2nd was the first day many students were required to wake up before noon in two months. For Floral Park Memorial’s youngest students, the Class of 2020, this day came on August 28th. Seventh grade orientation was a busy event. Dr. Sottile opened the event, followed by some words from Senior Class President Erin Lauria. Next, Ms. Bowman discussed student schedules, lockers, and I.D. cards. Then, there were speeches by Dean of Students Dr. Costello and Student Activities Director Mrs. Mason  Students were also introduced to their class advisors, Mrs. White and Mrs. Francis, teachers in the Social Studies Department.

The program ended with presentations by Ms. Todaro and Ms. Filoso of the PTSA and Mr. Engel and Ms. Horan of the Parents Athletic Booster Club. Afterwards, students were served ice cream and had the opportunity to tour the school. They also learned about the different clubs that FPM has to offer at the Clubs Fair. Meanwhile, parents had the opportunity to learn about their rights under the Dignity for All Students Act, set up an account for the Parent Portal, and purchase some supplies for their children. Nonetheless, the inevitable had to come. For seventh graders, the first day of school was one to remember. It was all a rush going from class to class, meeting an array of new teachers. In elementary school, students had to meet one, maybe two, new teachers each year. Now students had to learn the names and faces of eight new teachers. This was further complicated by having to find each of their classes around the building. Not only did students have to find their classrooms, they also had to coordinate when to get books from their lockers in between each period. This was all new to seventh graders.

Then there are those “big” kids.  Walking around a school where all of the other students are bigger and older than you is fairly intimidating. Fortunately for the seventh graders, Floral Park Memorial is a positive environment, with upperclassmen always willing to help out a confused seventh grader. Dr. Sottile personally thanked the junior and senior classes for their good behavior. She reported getting four different phone calls from parents commending the upperclassmen for aiding their eleven and twelve- year-olds.

Macy Turner, a seventh grader who previously attended FPBS, reports having been concerned because she had trouble locating some of her classes on the first day of school and being nervous about changing classes every forty-three minutes. She is now very comfortable with her routine and enjoys her new school. Juliana Kenna, also a seventh grader, was so excited about transitioning to a new school that she forgot her lunch box and water bottle at home on the first day of school. Jacqueline Earley was in for a surprise when her friend decorated her locker for her birthday during the first week of school. When she walked into school that morning, the other students in her hallway sang “Happy Birthday” to her.

By this point, seventh graders’ transition to a new school has been made. Now it was time to create six years worth of memories at Floral Park Memorial.