Reduce, Reuse, Recycle for the Benefit of Our Planet

Sofia Pierno, Staff Writer

November 15th was National Recycling Day! Pollution has become a huge problem that affects almost everything, from whales and lobsters to eagles and hawks. This year’s theme was Recovery. In about 11 years, the earth’s pollution and global warming problem will be irreversible. Here are a few things you can do to do your part in keeping the world green and clean.

• Participate in beach cleanups! Here on Long Island, we have Jones Beach, Robert Moses, Gilgo, and so many more beaches that could use a cleanup. By taking plastic off the sand, you are helping to prevent it from going in the ocean.
  • Use soap, shampoo, and conditioner that is in bar form instead of in bottles. 
  • Walk, ride a bike, skateboard, or anyway that isn’t using a car or motorized vehicle to get from Point A to Point B, C, D, E, etc. By avoiding cars, you are doing a small part by putting less toxins in the air. If you are going to use motorized transportation, consider a carpool, or taking public transportation.
  • Donate unwanted items instead of throwing them out. Throwing items like food or furniture out leaves it in a landfill. Donating clothes gives them to someone in need.
  • Don’t buy food from factory farms, and support small businesses! Check out ETSY for really cool stuff, and you are supporting a small business. Also, a number of students at FPM have Etsy shops!
  • Grow your own food! It’s fun, and sustainable.
  • Make a compost bin! Everyone throws out apple cores, banana peels, eggshells, etc. All of the items will decompose in landfills, but not if they are thrown into a plastic bag in your garbage can. Before garbage day, empty a compost straight into the garbage bin outside, and those items will decompose sooner, making landfills slightly smaller.
  • This is a given, but try to reduce your spent energy. Turn off lights before you leave a room. Open a window to let in a breeze instead of turning on the A/C. 
  • My final tip is get a reusable water bottle!!! You would never believe how many bottles get thrown out daily; 60 MILLION. Etsy has some fun, custom ones, Hydroflask has so many colors, as does Klean Kanteen. You can get one in so many places, so pick one up if you see one. 

This Earth is just right, but at this rate, won’t stay that way. Do your part in keeping our EARTH CLEAN!