Floral Park Memorial’s Mathletes Fail to “Rationalize” the Competition

After strong showings in previous district-wide math competitions, this year’s Senior High team falls points short of being ranked

Shane Palma, Sports Editor

On Friday, February 2, the energy was high, and the temperature was low as Floral Park Memorial’s Senior High Mathletes trekked out to their bus in the early morning. Led by coach and math teacher Mr. Merle, the squad of ten seemed poised to excel at the annual Nassau County Math Tournament. The competition was held at SUNY Old Westbury as various schools from across the county came together for a friendly day of math. The event started with a brief introduction and explanation of the rules, as teams prepared to enter their rooms. The format included two individual contests, both with and without a calculator, in which students were asked to complete 25 challenging questions in a short span of time. The other portion was a team event, where the original Floral Park group was split in half and given an hour to finish 20 problems. Team A featured Shane Palma, Daniel Levine, Tara Tam, Bhumika Patel, and Hannah Chin. Team B included Kyle Sahadeo, Weiting Zhang, Arin Budhram, Nathanial Zeimack, and Hammad Izhar. After a math-filled day, students returned to the dining hall and enjoyed a quick lunch as they compared answers and predicted the results. The day concluded with an award ceremony. Medals were given out to the top ten scorers for each grade along with the best team performance. From within the Floral Park team, Tara Tam and Hammad Izhar both tied for most correct answers and Team B ultimately outscored Team A. The overall end result was unfortunate, as the Floral Park Mathletes did not receive any prizes for their showing. However, the team did garner valuable experience with the hopes of fighting for the top spot in years to come. A fun day filled with laughs and math was one all of the participants enjoyed. Now, it’s back to practice in order to gear up for future challenges.