Welcome To The Future

After one of the most anticipated NFL drafts in recent memory, which team struck gold with its first-round selection?

Shane Palma, Sports Editor

Did the Browns screw up once again? After a year in which they matched the 2008 Detroit Lions for the worst season in NFL history (0-16), Cleveland possessed both the first and fourth overall picks in the 2018 draft. Myles Garrett was the undisputed choice by the Browns last year, but coming into this draft, a variety of names were said to be in the mix for the number one selection. After the combine in early March, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley was said to be a lock for the pick. Then Sam Darnold held his Pro-Day and met with Browns’ executives, making the fans wonder if they had finally found their (very-long) overdue franchise quarterback. Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Baker Mayfield then all showcased their skills for front offices, creating controversy on who would be “The Guy.”

Thursday April 26th, 2018. Draft Day. Buzz had started to pick up on the potential first pick. University of Oklahoma senior quarterback Baker Mayfield was reported by Adam Schefter to be at the top of Cleveland’s big board. This left Floral Park Memorial students speculating on the rumors and creating their own mock drafts. Was this to be believed? Or was this just a ploy to get the New York Jets to trade up for Mayfield, believed to be their most wanted option to fill the QB position?

By 8:00 pm, the rumors were proven correct as the Browns opted to go with the most experienced, and arguably most motivated quarterback in Mayfield. Cleveland fan reactions ranged from ecstatic to horrified as some feared that new General Manager John Dorsey had drafted “Johnny Manziel 2.0”. This left the Giants with the ability to take either the second best available quarterback or the best overall player, Saquon Barkley. After an offseason of questions on whether two-time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning still had juice left in the tank, Giants GM Dave Gettleman never gave a direct answer on who would take snaps under center in 2018. Moments after the Browns shocked the world, New York made the night’s second questionable decision in just as many picks. Taking Barkley will provide the G-Men with a formidable offense for the next 2-3 seasons, but what happens if or when Manning doesn’t have anything left? It’s tough to see the Giants being in this position again and able to draft a franchise quarterback like those available in this year’s deep class.

With the third overall selection, the New York Jets were left in a state of euphoria, as the player who many considered the most promising quarterback in the draft, a player whose 2017 Rose Bowl performance led to the “Suck For Sam” campaign, was still available. Without much hesitation or delay, Gang Green pounced on Sam Darnold, the second-year player who, at the young age of 20 years old, could lead the Jets to a potential Lombardi trophy. 

The rest of the night’s draft was as chaotic as advertised. With six picks traded back and forth, teams either found their missing piece on defense, (Saints selection of DE Marcus Davenport) or a new offensive weapon (Falcons selection of WR Calvin Ridley). The eventful day came to a close with the Baltimore Ravens trading for the 32nd pick with the Eagles, and drafting Lamar Jackson. Thought of as a triple threat on offense, Jackson possesses the athleticism and size to succeed as the future successor to Joe Flacco.

It’s easy to sit here and criticize teams for poor draft decisions or praise front offices for their tremendous scouting on a potential late-round steal. But until we see any of these players on an NFL field, the talk is only speculation. Football is still some ways away, but hey, the basketball playoffs are as good as ever and both New York baseball teams should have exciting summers to look forward to.

Although he wasn’t selected, Floral Park Memorial Alumni Timon Parris was signed on Saturday as an unrestricted free agent with the Washington Redskins. An offensive tackle out of Stony Brook University, Parris was originally predicted to be a fifth or sixth-round choice in CBS, NFL and ESPN mock drafts. With a strong build and four years of collegiate experience, the former Seawolves’ starter has a legitimate chance of making the Redskins roster come the first week of the regular season. FPM’s teachers and students wish Timon the best in his professional career. The Shield will have a more detailed article about Parris in the next few weeks.