The New Normal – A Jr High Perspective

Mia Hernandez, Jr High Staff Writer

Over the past few months, the world has seen just about enough. In early 2020, a global  pandemic called COVID-19 hit. Since then the pandemic spread with highly severe symptoms.  Everyone was in shock and worried as numbers grew daily. Businesses shut down, schools,  factories, name it all! We were all put into a quarantine for a few months. Meaning that we  shouldn’t leave the house, and if you did go out you are required to wear a mask. It still remains  today, just not as heavy as it was in March.

After schools were closed down children were  forced to learn and adapt to online learning where students have to learn all their lessons  through Google Meets or Zoom calls with their class. The first beginning of days may have been  just a fun vacation, but that “one week of vacation” turned into months of being stuck at home  terrified to go outside. Now with standards being lifted allowing high schools just like FPM re-open again, we are going back  to school.

Going into school we are more  limited than before. We have to wear masks for the whole day, stay socially distant, and follow  specific guidelines for entering the building. For me, I was new to this building. I am a seventh grader. Going to a  new school, with new people was pretty intimidating. Being a Hybrid student also effects how  you look at the school. Being one day in person learning, and one day being online is difficult to  keep up with all the changes in your schedule. Not being able to have lockers or leave the  classroom is also unfortunate. Although being restricted to joining clubs in person or talking to  your friends without masks sort of adds a bit of weight on my shoulders, the good side is that this  will all be a lesson for us.  As  younger students we get to learn how to be more responsible  and wise about decisions, keeping consistent with learning and caring about our education. Even  though school is a bit different, it will make this year unique.